Feel like taking a quick drone flight over Lady Liberty? Not so fast says the FAA
The FAA, at the behest of national security and law enforcement has issued new restrictions to prevent unauthorized drone operations over 10 landmarks managed by the Department of the Interior. This includes the Hoover Dam, The Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore and several large dams and National parks. Here is the complete list:
- Statue of Liberty National Monument, New York, NY
- Boston National Historical Park (U.S.S. Constitution), Boston, MA
- Independence National Historical Park, Philadelphia, PA
- Folsom Dam; Folsom, CA
- Glen Canyon Dam; Lake Powell, AZ
- Grand Coulee Dam; Grand Coulee, WA
- Hoover Dam; Boulder City, NV
- Jefferson National Expansion Memorial; St. Louis, MO
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial; Keystone, SD
- Shasta Dam; Shasta Lake, CA
What is the Department of the Interior?
The United States Department of the Interior (DOI) is responsible for the management of federal land and natural resources. It manages almost 75% of the federal public land.
The DOI is a sort of ‘catch-all’ for issues that don’t fit neatly into other departments in the government. In Washington parlance, the DOI is sometimes referred to as the “Department of Everything Else” or “Department of Everything” because of their wide mission statement and broad managerial oversight.
But What if I’m Part 107?
Without prior ok, you’re still out of luck. Even if the surrounding airspace is Class G, the areas outlined by the FAA are all prohibited. We’ve collected all 10 sites and will be adding them to the app in the coming weeks so that our users will always have the most up to date information right in the app. If you’re looking for who to contact about getting a waiver, we’ll be adding that information in coming weeks as well, but for now you can visit the FAA map, which includes points of contact.
When does all this start?
These restrictions become effective October 5th, 2017.
- FAA Restricts Drones at 10 Department of Interior Landmarks - October 2, 2017
- Stories From The Flight Line: Lessons Learned From Responsible Drone Operation - September 26, 2017
- Operating In The Shadows: The Best Places to Fly Drones During The Solar Eclipse - August 14, 2017
- Loose, Juice, and Roost! Why Every Pilot Needs a Pre-Flight Checklist - August 7, 2017