If anyone doubted the ability of drones to rise to the mainstream, the next edition of TIME Magazine is enough to set those doubts to rest. For the cover photo, TIME made a photographic version of its iconic logo and red border using 958 illuminated drones. Not only were drones the star(s) of the photo, it’s also the first time the TIME cover photo has been captured with a camera drone.
To create the photo, TIME partnered with Intel’s Drone Light Show team (which creates beautiful sky displays using hundreds of drones at a time) and Astraeus Aerial Cinema Systems to fly and capture (respectively) the 958 drones above Folsom, California (where Intel has a campus).
The display was filmed with a cinema camera on the Astraeus-flown drone, and the cover photo was a still frame extracted from the footage.
The cover can be found on the June 11, 2018, issue of TIME, which will hit stands on June 1st.
- Data Visualization and Analytics: Q&A with Jan Wouter Kruyt of Propeller Aero - November 7, 2018
- End-to-End Drone Mapping Solutions – Q&A on eBee X and ANAFI Work - October 29, 2018
- 3D Sensing Solutions – Q&A with Cepton Technologies - October 26, 2018
- Would You Rather: Race a Car or Race a Drone - July 18, 2018
- A Modern Take on Drone Insurance - July 9, 2018