Released in February 2023, the DJI Mini 2 SE is an entry-level budget drone capable of extraordinary performance and flight range.
What is the DJI Mini 2 SE’s range? How far can it fly?
The DJI Mini 2 SE has a transmission range of up to 6.2 miles in FCC areas and 3.7 miles in SE, SRRC, and MIC zones. In reality, you won’t be able to fly as far because you will be limited by the battery life of the drone and the need to return the drone to you.
In this article, we’ll talk further about the DJI Mini 2 SE’s range, including what contributes to its flight range and a few tips for extending the range of your drone.
To help, we’ve identified and reviewed the best drone courses for beginners and professionals.
What is DJI Mini 2 SE?
The DJI Mini 2 SE is a small, foldable drone that weighs about 246 grams at takeoff.
This is advantageous in many territories and countries because you may benefit from relaxed drone laws by flying a drone under 250 grams.
However, always check your country’s drone laws.
On top of that, the Mini 2 SE has a 2.7k camera capable of filming at 30 frames per second and taking images with a resolution of 12 megapixels.
|Release Date||February 9th, 2023|
|Size||138×81×58 mm folded without propellers|
|Battery Life||Max 31 mins|
|Camera Sensor||1/2.3-inch CMOS|
|Video Recording||– 2.7k at 30 frames per second |
– FHD at 60 frames per second
|Photography||12 megapixels (JPEG/DNG)|
|Max Flight Speed||16m/s in optimal conditions in Sport Mode|
|Wind Resistance||10.6m/s, Level 5 wind resistance|
|Video Transmission Module||DJI O2 Transmission Module|
|Max Legal Transmission Range||– FCC (Federal Communications Commission, USA) 6.2 m or 10km|
– CE (Certificate of Compliance in EU) 3.7 mi or 6km
– SRRC (State Radio Regulation of China) 3.7 mi or 6km
– MIC (Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications in Japan) 3.7 mi or 6km
|Latency||Approx. 200 ms|
Lightweight and Foldable Mini Drone with 2.7K Video, 10km Video Transmission, 31-min Flight Time, Under 249 g, Return to Home, Automatic Pro Shoots, Drone with camera for Beginners.
What transmission system does the DJI Mini 2 SE have?
The Mini 2 SE comes with the older DJI O2 transmission module and does not benefit from O3 or O3+ transmission like newer, more expensive DJI drones.
Although limited in flight range and transmission signal compared to other drones, the DJI O2 is still capable of long-range communication.
The transmission module of the Mini 2 SE is similar to the one found in the Mini 3.
How far can the DJI Mini 2 SE fly?
In the US, the transmission range of the Mini 2 SE is about 6.2 miles, which is the farthest you may be able to fly the drone. Beware that the drone is beyond the visible line of sight at this range.
The transmission range is limited to a maximum of 3.7 miles in the EU, China, and Japan.
Without these limitations, the Mini 2 SE may be able to maintain signals at even longer distances.
Having a long transmission range doesn’t mean you can fly far.
There are multiple factors to consider regarding how far you can fly this drone. You may be limited by battery life, interference, and the need to return the drone.
Here is a YouTube video with a range test in a suburban area (medium interference) that shows what the Mini 2 SE can do.
» MORE: DJI Mini 2 Range (Explained)
What contributes to the DJI Mini 2 SE’s range?
- Legal limitations: It’s only logical that the biggest barrier to how far this drone can obtain a signal is the legal limitations, such as the one we mentioned in the above table.
- Battery life: Although the Mini 2 SE can fly for about half an hour, that is the maximum time you can fly the drone in one direction (and back if you want to return the drone to you).
- Interference: This is yet another obstacle to how far you can fly the Mini 2 SE. According to DJI, drone interference is as follows:
- Strong Interference (0.93 to 1.86 mi or 1.5 to 3 km, urban areas)
- Medium Interference (1.86 to 3.72 mi or 3 to 6 km), suburban areas
- Low or no interference (3.72 to 6.2 mi or 6 to 10 km) seaside or mountains
- Weather and wind speed: High winds can limit how far the Mini 2 SE can fly. It’s risky to fly in high winds, affecting how far and long it flies.
- Line of sight/Obstacles: If your drone doesn’t fly in a direct line of sight of you, your transmission can be interrupted by surrounding obstacles.
- Takeoff location: You need a good takeoff location, or your drone won’t fly that far.
- Takeoff altitude: When flying the Mini 2 SE at higher altitudes, the drone may need to exercise extra thrust to fly, ultimately reducing the flight range of the drone.
- Battery health: How many cycles does the battery have? If the battery health is compromised and reduced, you will have shorter flight times and lower flight ranges.
- Other factors: High temperatures and your flying mode (Normal or Sport Mode) can influence the drone battery and how far the Mini 2 SE can fly.
How to extend the DJI Mini 2 SE range
You can do a few things to ensure you reach the farthest point your Mini 2 SE can fly.
Beware that this may come not only with legal risks in some countries, but you may have to request a rescue for your drone if the battery depletes before you return it.
- Ensure the weather is appropriate: Very low or no winds are perfect for flying a drone. The temperature shouldn’t be extreme.
- Where you take off and surroundings: Flying near large structures, cell towers, high-voltage power lines, or Wi-Fi routers can drastically affect the range of your Mini 2 SE.
Ensure you take off from a point clear of interference or manmade objects, and you will always have a direct line of sight with the drone.
- Update your drone and ensure you have 100 percent battery: I can’t say how many times I wanted to take off with any of my drones, firmware updates blocked me, and I had to sit there in the middle of the field and update my drone while my battery was draining.
That you should not do, so ensure everything is in order before you leave home.
- Hold your remote controller with antennas straight up, facing your drone direction: The drone will constantly communicate with your remote controller, so if you don’t properly position your Mini 2 SE remote controller, you will struggle to acquire maximum signal strength.