Your new DJI Mavic Mini 3 just arrived. Are you ready to take to the skies and explore for the first time? Or are you looking to take your drone flying to the next level?
If so, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to launch and land your DJI Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro drones.
To help, we’ve identified and reviewed the best drone courses for beginners and professionals.
Safety protocols before takeoff
Launching your drone is the first step in any successful flight. Before startup though, it’s important to follow all safety protocols. You should also be familiar with the area you’re flying in.
Check the weather
Firstly, before setting out for your journey to your flying spot, check the weather conditions.
I advise consulting UAV Forecast (link). This is a very handy tool I recommend for all drone pilots as it makes the flight planning process a lot easier.
It covers key weather conditions that every pilot should consider before taking off, such as chances of rain, wind speed/direction, number of GPS satellites available, and many more.
Check your controller and drone battery levels
Aside from the weather, another next thing to do before setting out is to make sure your drone battery and controller are fully charged and that you pack your drone and the necessary accessories for the flight you have ahead.
For tips on how to pack your drone bag, have a look at this article here.
Check for restricted airspace
The final bit precaution to take before setting out is to get acquainted with the airspaces around your flight zone and see whether there are any controlled or restricted airspaces.
To make life a lot easier for drone pilots, we have applications such as Aloft and Airmap.
These applications are publicly accessible maps displaying geo zones and airspaces that indicate areas where drones may and may not fly.
These apps also show details on border limits, restrictions, and ways to request authorization to fly and all relevant contact details that are necessary when seeking authorization or information.
Launching the DJI Mini 3/Mini 3 Pro
Once you’ve checked the weather and the area, it’s time to launch your drone. To launch your DJI Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro, you’ll need to first power on the drone.
Below is a step-by-step checklist on the startup process:
- Ensure the battery is secured on the aircraft.
- Switch on the remote controller.
- Connect your mobile device to the controller (RC-N1) using the appropriate RC cable, and open up the DJI Fly app.
- Place the aircraft on a clear, level surface (preferably using a landing pad).
- Switch on your DJI Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro (you may need to calibrate or update, refer to the checklists above).
- Test your controls, adjust drone and camera settings, and enjoy your flight.
To power on/off your controller, press the power button once, then long press and hold until the RC makes a power-on signal. The lights will also flash, and all four will light up.
When powering off your controller, you also press the power button once, then a long press until all four lights flash and go off.
To power on your drone, switch your drone on, press the power button once, then long press and hold until you hear the drone power up. The propellers should also flicker.
In the case of powering off your drone, you also press the power button once, then a long press Until all four lights flash and go off.
Next up, I advise calibrating the drone. For tips on calibrating your DJI Mini3 or Mini 3 Pro, check our article here.
Once the drone is calibrated, you’re ready to take to the skies and test out your drone.
To Launch, you can use the Auto Takeoff function:
- Launch DJI Fly and enter the camera view.
- Complete all steps in the pre-flight checklist.
- Tap the Launch arrow to the left of the screen; If conditions are safe for takeoff, press and hold the button to confirm.
- The aircraft will take off and hover approximately 1.2 meters (3.9 feet) above the ground.
Once the drone is launched, you must ensure it’s flying in a straight line. To do this, use the left and right sticks on the remote controller to adjust the drone’s direction.
To land the drone, you can use the Auto Landing function.
- Tap the Launch/Land arrow to the left of your screen (the same one used to launch). If conditions are safe for landing, press and hold the button to confirm.
- Auto landing can be canceled by tapping the same arrow.
- Landing Protection will be enabled if the Downward Vision System works normally.
- Motors will stop automatically after landing.
Alternatively, you can launch and land your drone manually. To start the motors, push both control sticks downwards and inwards and release them simultaneously once the motors start.
After this, check your surroundings for any obstacles or passersby (yell clear whenever taking off to notify incoming pedestrians), and take off slowly and steadily by pushing the left control stick upwards.
To land, once again check your surroundings and ground surface to make sure the area is clear, and push the left control stick down until the aircraft lands.
Once the drone is in a safe area, you can power it off. Press and hold the power button for two seconds to power off your drone. Once the drone is powered off, you can store it away.
Launching and landing your DJI Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro drones is a relatively simple process.
However, it’s important to follow all safety protocols and be familiar with the area you’re flying in. By following these steps, you can launch and land your drone safely and successfully.