If you’ve flown Holy Stone drones or any other drone model, you know that you always have two pieces of the control system; a controller and an app. Apps help extend the drone’s functionality, mostly by allowing you to view the live footage, control more features of the camera, and even help in launching system updates.
So, what is the app for Holy Stone drones? How does it work?
The Holy Stone App helps you fly a drone in approved areas at an acceptable height and path. The app allows you to frame the camera shots and transmit audio and video to your smartphone in real-time, primarily through WiFi signals.
You can find the app on the Google Play Store or the App Store. Holy Stone apps support 720P, 1080P, and VGA camera resolution depending on the Holy Stone drone model you’re using.
Let’s dig a little deeper into the Holy Stone App.
What app is used for Holy Stone drones?
Depending on the drone model you’re using, below are the main Holy Stone drone apps you’ll come across:
|Holy Stone App||Holy Stone Models|
|DEERC FPV||Holy Stone HS110G|
|HSS2 FPV||Holy Stone HS110D|
Holy Stone HS200
|HS GPS Pro||Holy Stone HS1000|
Holy Stone HS100
Holy Stone HS100g
|HS GPS V1||Holy Stone HS120D|
|HS GPS V3||Holy Stone HS130D|
|HS GPS V5||Holy Stone HS175|
|HS FLY||Holy Stone HS600|
Holy Stone app: How do you use the Holy Stone app?
To use your Holy Stone app, you’ll need to download it first on your device, whether an Apple or Android device.
For the apps to function appropriately and to avoid any lags or connection issues, make sure you follow the connection instructions (more on this later).
To get the app on your smartphone, head over to Holy Stone’s website, Google’s Play Store for Android, or Apple Store (link) for iOS, and download the appropriate app for your drone. The drone’s manual should indicate which app to download.
The Holy Stone App helps in controlling the drone in real-time. To achieve this, you need to link the iPhone’s WiFi to the drone’s WiFi. By linking the two, it helps transmit pictures, audio, and videos to your smartphone.
Furthermore, when you turn on the microphone, it transmits audio sounds. If you’re a newbie, you might experience some issues while trying to familiarize yourself with the app. However, it doesn’t take too long to learn.
Connecting the Holy Stone app to your phone
While the app can replace the controller on some models, you still have to connect the drone and the smartphone to the controller for some drones.
But once you complete the whole process, you will not have to use the controller.
Although for some drones, such as the Holy Stone H160, you can connect the drone directly to the smartphone without using the controller.
Below is a step-by-step process for connecting the Holy Stone App to Your phone.
Note: The process will differ slightly by drone model. The process below is for the Holy Stone HS1000 FPV drone.
- Switch on your drone and controller.
- Download the app (in this case, it will be the Holy Stone GPS Pro).
- Go to the WiFi settings on your smartphone and connect to the drone’s WiFi.
- Some apps will require you to scan a QR code on the manual, so make sure you have the manual with you.
- After connecting, go to your app and click on “Enter Device.”
- The app should be showing the live footage from the drone. If it’s a black screen, or you’re getting an error, you may have messed up on the setup process, the phone may not be compatible, or the drone could be damaged.
Benefits of connecting the Holy Stone app to your phone
One of the reasons I love flying using the app compared to the controller is the ease of use. Also, the app helps you adhere to local regulations since you can set a specific altitude that the drone will fly in, a feature you won’t find in the controller.
Other reasons why it’s better to use the app include the following:
- FPV (First Person View) is another reason you should use the app. Nothing beats viewing the world from a bird’s eye view. Besides, you can still use the controller while viewing the footage on the smartphone’s screen.
- Once you’ve connected the drone to the phone, you can use GPS to navigate the drone, set up waypoints for autonomous flying, and even find your drone in case it gets lost.
- Connecting the phone and Holy Stone drone allows you control, and the ability to fly the drone from your phone. Also, it helps you view telemetric information such as battery levels, satellite connection, notifications about the status of the drone, and much more.
How do I connect my phone to the Holy Stone drone?
First, make sure the drone and controller are on and connected. Then you’ll need to download the Holy Stone App from the Play Store or App Store.
After that, connect to the drone’s WiFi network, scan the QR code when asked to, and your app should be ready to use.
Can you fly a Holy Stone drone without a phone?
Yes, you can. The primary function of a smartphone is for FPV viewing, though they also have other functions such as configuration and GPS. But you can comfortably use your drone with just the controller.
But to get the most out of your flying sessions, using the controller together with the smartphone is always the best option.
How do you unlock the Holy Stone drone?
You can unlock the drone and launch it by pushing the right and left joysticks inwards and down.
Why won’t my Holy Stone drone take off?
If you’ve connected the drone and the smartphone correctly and the drone won’t take off, the issue could be damaged propellers, poor calibration, poor GPS connection, or you may be taking off in a restricted area.
Can I use any app to fly my drone?
You can’t use an app from another manufacturer, such as DJI or Yuneec, to fly Holy Stone drones.
However, there are third-party apps like Litchi, Rainbow, and B4UFly, that can be used on a wide range of drones. But they are not compatible with all drones.
The Bottom Line
And there you have it. If any of the Holy Stone apps support your drone, don’t miss out on the fun. Download the app and get the most out of your drone.